How to Get Maximum Email Open and Click Rates
At Art of Blog, we drive several hundred clicks per week back to our website from email.
Email marketing is a very affordable and effective tool for driving traffic, if it’s done right…
Different types of emails don’t get the same open rates: a “password reset” is a lot more opened than a “newsletter”. It also depends on which industry you’re in. However, in general you can consider you’re in a good range between 15% and 25%. – Mailjet
Today, I’d like to share with you three things that I focus on that allow me to get more than 40% open rates, which drives great traffic to Art of Blog.
Is Your Email Subject Working?
In any type of marketing, headlines are immensely important. In email marketing, the subject is a headline. Now, I’m no expert on headlines, but I do follow a few guidelines.
- Be attractive. When I decide to send an email out promoting this post I will not write an email subject that reads something like, “Get More Email Opens.” Instead, I could write, “3 Easy Ways to Maximize Your Email Open Rate.” Be truthful, but in an appealing way. Try to include numbers and action words.
- Be Brief. Headlines are meant to grab attention. A long headline will likely not be read.
- Be Personal. The Final headline I send out will likely look like, “Eric, Here Are 3 Ways to Maximize Your Email Open Rate.”
For a more in-depth discussion on headlines, I highly recommend Copyblogger’s Magnetic Headlines series. I regularly visit this series to get ideas for great headlines!
What Do You Want the Reader To Do?
If you study emails that come from well known Internet marketers, you will notice that all of these emails include a call to action.
This could simply be telling the reader to click a link, or the email could include a colorful button with text that reads something like, “Click here for your free trial!”
Bottom line, you must:
- Tell the reader what to do.
- Remove any obstacles for the reader to complete that action.
Are Your Emails Arriving at the Right Time?
GetResponse recently tested almost 21 million emails to determine if the time you send emails affects the open rate.
What they found was that top engagement times are between 8am – 10am and 3pm – 4pm. Below is the infographic that was created from this information.
What Do You Think?
Our blogs are not alone in the world. To run a successful blog, you should be using social media and email marketing. These are the three things I focus on when I write emails.
What do you focus on when you write emails? What am I missing?
Leave a comment below and join the conversation!
Start Your Own Blog Today
Building your first blog is easy with far easier when you have a simple step-by-step guide to follow. That is why we’ve created the world's simplest guide. Learn How to Start a Blog now!
Sign Up Now for Free Updates and Exclusive Content:
Learn how to write killer content, get more traffic, make money, and more by entering your email below: